News Opinons Politics

Trump Smacks Down ABC News for ‘Fake News’ Footage of Syria

President Donald Trump rebuked ABC News’ Jonathan Karl publicly during a press conference Wednesday for the network’s claim that footage from a Kentucky gun range was in fact footage of Turkey bombing Kurds in Syria.

At the press conference, which featured the president alongside Italian President Sergio Mattarella, Karl asked Trump whether he had “any regret for giving [Turkish president Recep Tayyip] Erdogan the green light to invade?”

“I didn’t give him a green light,” the president replied, going on to note that the U.S. had a very small number of soldiers near the border, and that he had written a “very powerful letter” to Erdogan opposing Turkey’s invasion of Syria.


“And when you ask a question like that, that’s very deceptive, Jon, it’s almost as deceptive as you showing all of the bombings taking place in Syria, and it turned out that the bombing that you showed on television took place in Kentucky. So, you know. And I’m not even sure that ABC apologized for that. But certainly, it was a terrible thing.”

“I think ABC owes an apology,” he added.


Faith and government leaders celebrate US as ‘One Nation Under God’ at Rededicate 250
Sean Spicer-linked group makes case for Trump to seniors before midterm elections
Two Navy jets crash midair as crew successfully ejects during Idaho military base air show
Blue State May Have Slipped Up While Defending Its Ammo Ban
Republican Lawmaker Crashes Woke Church’s Gun Buyback Scheme With Ingenious Play
Trump warns Iran’s ‘clock is ticking’: Move ‘fast’ or ‘there won’t be anything left’
Dad Innocently Opens Lid to Weird, Old Bottle – Moments Later the Ground’s on Fire, the Bomb Squad’s Coming, and He’s Headed to the Hospital
Taiwan’s president says island ‘will never be sacrificed or traded’ in stern rebuke of China
Six Found Dead in Cargo Boxcar at Union Pacific Yard in Border Town: Police
Fox News’s Kayleigh McEnany on faith, family, and career
Florida Police Officers Sue Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, Claim Details in New Action Thriller Are Too Real
The Founders Likely Built the Most Famous Phrase in the Declaration of Independence from a Christian Sermon
Senate parliamentarian rejects $1 billion in reconciliation bill for White House security, Trump ballroom
US Deportations to El Salvador Double as Bukele, Trump Continue to Clean up Crime in Both Countries
Interrogation video shows trans killer’s calm confession to ambushing parents over gender transition battle
See also  Faith and government leaders celebrate US as ‘One Nation Under God’ at Rededicate 250

Trump was referring to a story that ABC News ran on Sunday and Monday in which it claimed that it had obtained video footage showing the war in Syria. As Breitbart News noted:

The footage, which ABC News purported was of an attack on the border town of Tal Abyad, was aired Sunday on World News Tonight and Good Morning America on Monday morning. However, a comparison by Gizmodo shows the video was captured at Knob Creek Gun Range in West Point, Kentucky back in 2017.

The Washington Examiner reported that the video footage had been tweeted by a Turkish politician from Erdogan’s party, in celebration of Turkey’s offensive. That footage remains on Twitter:

However, the footage turn out to be from Kentucky:

The Examiner noted that ABC News had taken down its video stories, and issued a correction and apology, but that it had not done so on the air as of Tuesday.

At the press conference, Karl — the network’s chief White House correspondent — continued, without acknowledging the president’s criticism: “[Senator] Lindsey Graham just said of your remarks that you made in the Oval Office that if you keep talking like that, “this will be disaster worse than Obama’s decision to leave Iraq.”


Faith and government leaders celebrate US as ‘One Nation Under God’ at Rededicate 250
Sean Spicer-linked group makes case for Trump to seniors before midterm elections
Two Navy jets crash midair as crew successfully ejects during Idaho military base air show
Blue State May Have Slipped Up While Defending Its Ammo Ban
Republican Lawmaker Crashes Woke Church’s Gun Buyback Scheme With Ingenious Play
Trump warns Iran’s ‘clock is ticking’: Move ‘fast’ or ‘there won’t be anything left’
Dad Innocently Opens Lid to Weird, Old Bottle – Moments Later the Ground’s on Fire, the Bomb Squad’s Coming, and He’s Headed to the Hospital
Taiwan’s president says island ‘will never be sacrificed or traded’ in stern rebuke of China
Six Found Dead in Cargo Boxcar at Union Pacific Yard in Border Town: Police
Fox News’s Kayleigh McEnany on faith, family, and career
Florida Police Officers Sue Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, Claim Details in New Action Thriller Are Too Real
The Founders Likely Built the Most Famous Phrase in the Declaration of Independence from a Christian Sermon
Senate parliamentarian rejects $1 billion in reconciliation bill for White House security, Trump ballroom
US Deportations to El Salvador Double as Bukele, Trump Continue to Clean up Crime in Both Countries
Interrogation video shows trans killer’s calm confession to ambushing parents over gender transition battle
See also  Trump and Cabinet officials welcomed by Xi at China’s Great Hall of the People

Trump retorted that “Lindsey Graham would like to stay in the Middle East for the next thousand years. … I want to get out of the Middle East.” He said that Graham should focus on the Senate Judiciary Committee, which he chairs, and ought to focus on the effort by the FBI and the intelligence agencies to monitor his campaign during the 2016 election. “The people of South Carolina don’t want us to get into a war with Turkey — a NATO member — or with Syria. Let them fight their own wars.”

He added: “You should get your accounts correct. You shouldn’t be showing buildings blowing up in Kentucky and say[ing] it’s Syria, because that really is fake news.”’

Story cited here.

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter