News Opinons Politics

Hollywood Faces Carnage as Mass Unemployment Hits Entertainment Industry

Hollywood is seeing a wave of staff reductions from the corporate suites to the theme park turnstiles as entertainment giants including the Walt Disney Co. and Endeavor implement layoffs and furloughs in response to the Chinese coronavirus pandemic.

Just how bad is the carnage? In Los Angeles County alone, 14,000 entertainment-related workers saw their jobs evaporate in less than two months, according to a new report from tech news outlet dot.LA. Meanwhile, Tinseltown could see even more bloodshed in the second quarter, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Endeavor — the largest Hollywood talent agency, as well as a studio — recently said that it will lay off or furlough up to a third of its staff. Disney has furloughed more than 100,000 employees worldwide, mostly in the company’s parks division.


Hollywood has been hit on multiple fronts, including the closure of cinemas and the suspension of live sports, which is usually a cash cow for broadcasters. The L.A. office of Fox Sports Productions saw 3,595 people temporarily laid off at the end of April, according to dot.LA.


USCIS halts ‘all asylum decisions’ after DC shooting of National Guard members
Abbey Gate Gold Star father blisters Biden after Afghan national allegedly ambushes 2 National Guardsmen in DC
Utah death row inmate with dementia dies of natural causes 3 months after execution was halted
At least two reported victims with gunshot wounds at Valley Fair Mall in California on Black Friday: police
State Department ‘immediately’ halts all Afghan passport visas following deadly National Guard attack
Trump plans ‘full and complete pardon’ for former Honduran president convicted of drug trafficking
A look back at the biggest presidential Thanksgiving scandals, surprises
Erika Kirk Shares First Thanksgiving Message Since Her Husband’s Passing
Political turkeys of 2025: Blunders of 2025 that will never be pardoned by the public
USA Today’s Spin on National Guard Shooting Shows Why Legacy Outlets Are Dying
Where the Trump admin’s court fight over National Guard in DC stands in wake of shooting
House Republican Calls for Full Pause on ALL Immigration After D.C. Attack: ‘Deport Every Non-Citizen’
NYC Council is Considering a Massive Pay Bump For Mamdani Before He Even Takes Office
Slotkin goes silent when pressed on past Trump guard ‘shooting’ claims after DC attack
In-store Black Friday crowds underwhelm as online shopping surges

See also  Government contractors still feeling effects of shutdown despite it ending

Some of the biggest job losses have come from the production sector, which consists of below-the-line crew members who typically toil year round on crowded movie and TV sets. Hollywood’s trade unions have seen their members idle without work as soundstages around the country remain empty.

Breitbart News reported last week that Hollywood studios are currently working on ways to make sets safe when production ultimately resumes. While no major studio has yet to announce a timetable, one source told Breitbart that U.S. production may resume in June at the earliest.

But L.A. County’s decision to prolong its stay-at-home order for an additional three months is only creating more uncertainty.

Tyler Perry recently announced that his Atlanta studio will resume limited production in July. Countries including New Zealand, Poland, the Czech Republic have also announced that shooting can resume.

The Hollywood Reporter noted that individual studios are remaining vague about potential future layoffs. But some executives have spoken about coronavirus-related cost savings.


USCIS halts ‘all asylum decisions’ after DC shooting of National Guard members
Abbey Gate Gold Star father blisters Biden after Afghan national allegedly ambushes 2 National Guardsmen in DC
Utah death row inmate with dementia dies of natural causes 3 months after execution was halted
At least two reported victims with gunshot wounds at Valley Fair Mall in California on Black Friday: police
State Department ‘immediately’ halts all Afghan passport visas following deadly National Guard attack
Trump plans ‘full and complete pardon’ for former Honduran president convicted of drug trafficking
A look back at the biggest presidential Thanksgiving scandals, surprises
Erika Kirk Shares First Thanksgiving Message Since Her Husband’s Passing
Political turkeys of 2025: Blunders of 2025 that will never be pardoned by the public
USA Today’s Spin on National Guard Shooting Shows Why Legacy Outlets Are Dying
Where the Trump admin’s court fight over National Guard in DC stands in wake of shooting
House Republican Calls for Full Pause on ALL Immigration After D.C. Attack: ‘Deport Every Non-Citizen’
NYC Council is Considering a Massive Pay Bump For Mamdani Before He Even Takes Office
Slotkin goes silent when pressed on past Trump guard ‘shooting’ claims after DC attack
In-store Black Friday crowds underwhelm as online shopping surges

See also  Transgender inmates separated from females at special needs women’s prison following sexual abuse claims

ViacomCBS has indicated that it will take more cost-cutting steps in addition to the ones already realized from the re-merger of Viacom and CBS.

Chief financial officer Christina Spade said the company was “taking additional cost-cutting actions and implementing initiatives to reduce discretionary expenses” amid the pandemic. “We are learning from this crisis and finding ways that we can operate more efficiently,” she said during a recent earnings call.

Meanwhile, Disney has begun the gradual process of re-opening its theme parks and resorts. Disney Springs in Orlando is set to partially re-open on May 20, though the adjacent Walt Disney World remains closed. Shanghai Disney Resort recently opened again with visitors required to take special precautions, including social distancing and masks.

Story cited here.

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter