International News

China Quarantines City of Wuhan: Population 11 Million

Chinese health officials declared the newly identified Wuhan coronavirus a class-A disease and placed strick precautionary and control measures on affected areas of the country on Wednesday.

In one move, authorities virtually locked down the source city of the virus, Wuhan – a city of 11 million people. Another 8 million live in the greater metropolitan area and are not affected by the lockdown within city limits.

The move followed the confirmation of the death toll reaching 17 on Wednesday. Officials shut down all outbound traffic including buses, subways, ferries, and other long-distance transportation methods, the Guardian reported.



Trump rips Newsom’s UK pact as 2028 showdown chatter grows
Multiple people shot at Rhode Island ice rink in domestic violence-related murder-suicide
Obama calls Los Angeles homelessness an ‘atrocity,’ criticizes ‘losing’ political strategy
TMZ pleads with man to prove himself after receiving fourth letter claiming to know where Nancy Guthrie is
Agitator arrested on battery charge outside Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course
BREAKING: Legendary Actor Robert Duvall Dead at 95
Priceless: ‘I Want My Mommy!’ – Anti-ICE Student Tangles With Cop, Begins Wailing for Her Mom as Soon as Cuffs Go On
Montana governor launches sanctuary crackdown, probes capital city over ICE limits
‘At some point, you age out’: Obama urges Democrats to pass torch to younger candidates
Woke Actress Says Minneapolis Shootings Ruined Her Oscar Nomination, Pushes Debunked ICE Child ‘Kidnapping’ Story
Dem Auditor Sues Her Own Party Amid $12M Fraud Bombshell: ‘What Are They Hiding?’
Watch This Previously Unimaginable ‘Backward Finish’ Where Olympic Skier Wins by… Skiing Backwards Across Finish Line
Transit funding hits record highs as ridership languishes, new report questions return on billions
Guthrie Kidnapping Update: FBI Discovers Apparent Link to Kidnapping 2 Miles from Victim’s Home, DNA Results Already Coming In
Hiker dies near summit of New York’s tallest peak after slipping off trail

Officials report more than 570 people have been taken to hospitals after developing breathing complications after contracting the virus.

See also  John Fetterman says he refuses to engage in ‘sexist garbage’

China’s National Health Commission Vice Minister Lin Bin told reporters at a news conference on Wednesday that the virus “may mutate and there is a risk of further spread,” NPR reported Wednesday evening.

“We have ensured management of export channels such as temperature checks at airports, train and bus stations, and ports … And we will reduce as much as possible events with large crowds,” Li told the reporters.

During a meeting of the World Health Organization (WHO), officials split on a two-two decision about whether to declare a “public health emergency.”


Trump rips Newsom’s UK pact as 2028 showdown chatter grows
Multiple people shot at Rhode Island ice rink in domestic violence-related murder-suicide
Obama calls Los Angeles homelessness an ‘atrocity,’ criticizes ‘losing’ political strategy
TMZ pleads with man to prove himself after receiving fourth letter claiming to know where Nancy Guthrie is
Agitator arrested on battery charge outside Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course
BREAKING: Legendary Actor Robert Duvall Dead at 95
Priceless: ‘I Want My Mommy!’ – Anti-ICE Student Tangles With Cop, Begins Wailing for Her Mom as Soon as Cuffs Go On
Montana governor launches sanctuary crackdown, probes capital city over ICE limits
‘At some point, you age out’: Obama urges Democrats to pass torch to younger candidates
Woke Actress Says Minneapolis Shootings Ruined Her Oscar Nomination, Pushes Debunked ICE Child ‘Kidnapping’ Story
Dem Auditor Sues Her Own Party Amid $12M Fraud Bombshell: ‘What Are They Hiding?’
Watch This Previously Unimaginable ‘Backward Finish’ Where Olympic Skier Wins by… Skiing Backwards Across Finish Line
Transit funding hits record highs as ridership languishes, new report questions return on billions
Guthrie Kidnapping Update: FBI Discovers Apparent Link to Kidnapping 2 Miles from Victim’s Home, DNA Results Already Coming In
Hiker dies near summit of New York’s tallest peak after slipping off trail

See also  Congress investigates NASA over funding ‘bilateral collaboration’ with CCP

“This is an evolving and complex situation,” WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters in a press conference following their meeting. “Today there was an excellent discussion but it was also clear that to proceed we need more information.

Reporters asked Dr. Adhanom about the Chinese lockdown of Wuhan. After praising the Chinese government for their “openness in sharing data and information,” the director said, “We need some time to understand the specific measures that have been taken.”

He later expounded on that comment, saying “What they are doing is a very, very strong measure and with full commitment. We stressed to them that by having a strong action not only they will control the outbreak in their country but they will also minimize the chances of this outbreak spreading internationally.”

Chinese officials stressed the rapidly rising number of reported cases does not mean the virus is spreading exponentially. Rather, Director Li said the number is a result of a deeper understanding of the disease and improvements in their screening process.

The city of Wuhan is shutting down all public gatherings as the Lunar New Year celebration is set to begin. One of the events, the annual prayer-giving at the Guiyan Temple, drew 700,000 tourists in 2019, the Guardian reported.

In addition to shutting down outbound transportation networks, Wuhan Mayor Zhou Xianwang said, “If it’s not necessary we suggest that people don’t come to Wuhan.”

See also  John Fetterman says he refuses to engage in ‘sexist garbage’

Story cited here.

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter