International News Opinons Politics

Wuhan Residents Say Coronavirus Figures Released By China Don’t Add Up

Chinese officials, desperate to recast the country as a global leader that has conquered the coronavirus, have been saying that its death rates are decreasing in the city of Wuhan. The problem, residents say, is that the numbers don’t add up.

The move is part of Beijing’s choreographed campaign to mark a turning point in China’s fight against the deadly virus, which has spread to 200 countries and infected more than 732,000 people as of Monday morning. Of those, 34,686 people have died.


Despite China’s propaganda pushers being all smiles for the international community, residents told Radio Free Asia that Beijing’s claims that there were only 2,500 deaths in Wuhan is far from reality.


How to watch President Trump’s 2026 State of the Union address to Congress live
Climate groups sue Trump administration over EPA’s bombshell deregulation decision
Trump Admin Cancels Visas for 100,000 Foreign Nationals Who Don’t Meet American Standards
Developing: Bad News as DNA Results in Guthrie Kidnapping Come in to FBI
‘Devil in the Ozarks’ gets more prison time for escaping, now in supermax facility
Bald eagle floating on Hudson River ice rescued by NYPD
Minnesota Officials Forced to Sound the Alarms Over Fungal STD Outbreak
Watch: Whoopi Goldberg Rushes to Explain Why She Was in the Epstein Files Seeking to Use His Private Jet
Immigration judge blocks deportation of Columbia anti-Israel agitator
Sanders-endorsed Senate candidate knocked for alleged flip-flop to ‘have it both ways’ on key issue
Hollywood Star Arrested, Charged After Altercation: ‘Held Down Until Police Arrived’
NYC Board of Elections worker says ‘not my job to report anyone’ when asked about registering non-citizens
Gun store owner says FBI asked him to check firearm sales against list of names, pics in Guthrie case
Mike Lee calls Schumer’s ‘Jim Crow 2.0’ attack on voter ID bill ‘paranoid fantasy’
Palestinian activist accused of expressing desire to ‘kill Jews’ wins deportation case

See also  Vance and Rubio would give GOP ‘potent one-two punch’ for 2028 ticket: Joe Concha

For more than a week, seven large funeral homes that serve Wuhan have been handing out the cremated remains of about 500 people to their families every day. When added, the figure puts the official number the Chinese government has claimed into question.

“It can’t be right … because the incinerators have been working round the clock, so how can so few people have died,” said Zhang, a Wuhan resident who only gave Radio Free Asia his last name. “They started distributing ashes and starting interment ceremonies on Monday.”

Wuhan accounts for about 60 percent of China’s coronavirus cases, but the numbers the government has been putting out has fallen sharply in weeks, a sign, the government says, that its aggressive measures are working.

Social media users aren’t buying it and have taken the country to task, doing basic math and finding faulty figures in the government’s reporting.

The news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day. That’s double the number of deaths Xi’s officials claimed. There have also been social media posts that have claimed all seven of Wuhan’s funeral homes have handed out 3,500 urns every day.

Radio Free Asia reported that funeral homes told families who have lost loved ones to COVID-19 that they will try to “complete cremations before the traditional grave-tending festival of Qing Ming on April 5, which would indicate a 12-day process beginning on Mach 23. Such an estimate would mean that 42,000 urns would be given out during that time.”

See also  John Fetterman says he refuses to engage in ‘sexist garbage’


How to watch President Trump’s 2026 State of the Union address to Congress live
Climate groups sue Trump administration over EPA’s bombshell deregulation decision
Trump Admin Cancels Visas for 100,000 Foreign Nationals Who Don’t Meet American Standards
Developing: Bad News as DNA Results in Guthrie Kidnapping Come in to FBI
‘Devil in the Ozarks’ gets more prison time for escaping, now in supermax facility
Bald eagle floating on Hudson River ice rescued by NYPD
Minnesota Officials Forced to Sound the Alarms Over Fungal STD Outbreak
Watch: Whoopi Goldberg Rushes to Explain Why She Was in the Epstein Files Seeking to Use His Private Jet
Immigration judge blocks deportation of Columbia anti-Israel agitator
Sanders-endorsed Senate candidate knocked for alleged flip-flop to ‘have it both ways’ on key issue
Hollywood Star Arrested, Charged After Altercation: ‘Held Down Until Police Arrived’
NYC Board of Elections worker says ‘not my job to report anyone’ when asked about registering non-citizens
Gun store owner says FBI asked him to check firearm sales against list of names, pics in Guthrie case
Mike Lee calls Schumer’s ‘Jim Crow 2.0’ attack on voter ID bill ‘paranoid fantasy’
Palestinian activist accused of expressing desire to ‘kill Jews’ wins deportation case

Another online estimate is based on the cremation capacity of funeral homes in Wuhan, which runs 84 furnaces with a capacity over a 24-hour period of 1,560 urns. That estimate puts the number of estimated deaths in Wuhan at 46,800.

See also  Congress investigates NASA over funding ‘bilateral collaboration’ with CCP

Another resident of the Hubei province – where Wuhan is the capital – told RFA that the majority of people there believe more than 40,000 people died before and during the lockdown. That’s tens of thousands more than the government has claimed.

“Maybe the authorities are gradually releasing the real figures, intentionally or unintentionally, so that people will gradually come to accept the reality,” the resident, who only gave his last name as Mao, said.

One source close to the civil affairs bureau told RFA that the true number of deaths was a sensitive subject in the communist country and that authorities probably know the real number but are keeping it under wraps.

There have also been claims of city officials paying off families in exchange for their silence.

“There have been a lot of funerals in the past few days, and the authorities are handing out 3,000 yuan in hush money to families who get their loved ones remains laid to rest ahead of Qing Ming,” Wuhan resident Chen Yaohui said. “It’s to stop them keeing (a traditional expression of grief); nobody’s allowed to keen after [the festival] Qing Ming has passed.”

Chen told the news outlet that no one in Wuhan believes the official death toll is 2,500.

“Before the epidemic began, the city’s crematoriums typically cremated around 220 people a day,” he said, adding that during the epidemic, the government transferred cremation workers from around China to Wuhan to cremate bodies around the clock.

Story cited here.

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter