President Donald Trump poured cold water on the idea that the U.S. and Mexico might reach an agreement by the end of the week that would avoid a 5 percent tariff going into effect on Mexican imports.
“I think it’s more likely that the tariffs go on,” Trump said at a press conference during a state visit to London.
Trump’s comment was in stark contrast to the hopeful comments from Mexican officials that an agreement would be reached.
“I think that we have 80 percent in favor of a negotiation [that would stop tariffs from being implemented], 20 percent that maybe it’s difficult to reach an agreement,” Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said Tuesday at a press conference at the Mexican Embassy in Washington. “I’d suppose that the imposition of tariffs can be avoided.”
Last week, Trump made a surprise announcement that the U.S. would initiate a 5 percent tariff on imports from Mexico unless Mexico does more to stop the cascade of people from Central America crossing its territory to reach the U.S. Trump said the tariffs would kick-in on June 10 and rise 5 percent per month, reach 25 percent by October.
Burglary theory in missing Guthrie case ‘ridiculously rare’ says law enforcement source
New Mexico mother accused of drowning newborn in portable toilet after giving birth
Department of War transports next-generation reactor in nuclear energy milestone
Schumer says Dems will fight voter ID push ‘tooth and nail,’ balks at DHS role in elections
Hillary Clinton clashes with Czech leader over Trump policies at Munich security conference
Woman allegedly steals bus from elementary school parking lot, goes on late night ride
The one sentence in Rubio’s Munich speech that revealed Trump’s red line for Europe
Campus Radicals Newsletter: Antifa-linked group tells students to mobilize, college students fake disabilities
SpaceX Launches New Crew to Space Station After Medical Evacuation
Media Whines About Irish Man Held by ICE, But Here’s Why He’s Really in Trouble
California Exodus Takes a Huge Leap Forward as Citizens Flock to Las Vegas to Avoid New Tax Hike
NBC Issues Apology for Calling Female Olympic Skier ‘She’
Newsom Gives $90 Million in ‘Emergency’ Funds to Planned Parenthood
US Kill Total on Drug Boats Hits 133 as Strike Takes Out 3 More ‘Narco-Terrorists’ in Caribbean
Trump announces $5 billion pledge in Gaza aid from Board of Peace members
On Tuesday in London, Trump reiterated those plans. He also said that he did not think Republican lawmakers on Capitol Hill would act to block the tariffs, saying it would be “foolish” to do so.
Trump has told close aides in similar situations that he thinks it is often necessary to apply tariffs first and negotiate deals afterward in order to prove he is not bluffing. He sees tariffs as motivating other countries that want access to U.S. consumers to make concessions in negotiations.
Story cited here.









