International News Opinons

Trump Pours Cold Water on Notion that Mexico Tariffs Will be Avoided

President Donald Trump poured cold water on the idea that the U.S. and Mexico might reach an agreement by the end of the week that would avoid a 5 percent tariff going into effect on Mexican imports.

“I think it’s more likely that the tariffs go on,” Trump said at a press conference during a state visit to London.

Trump’s comment was in stark contrast to the hopeful comments from Mexican officials that an agreement would be reached.


“I think that we have 80 percent in favor of a negotiation [that would stop tariffs from being implemented], 20 percent that maybe it’s difficult to reach an agreement,” Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said Tuesday at a press conference at the Mexican Embassy in Washington. “I’d suppose that the imposition of tariffs can be avoided.”

Last week, Trump made a surprise announcement that the U.S. would initiate a 5 percent tariff on imports from Mexico unless Mexico does more to stop the cascade of people from Central America crossing its territory to reach the U.S. Trump said the tariffs would kick-in on June 10 and rise 5 percent per month, reach 25 percent by October.


One of the Oldest Copies of Scripture Coming to the US
Sen Cory Booker marries fiancé Alexis Lewis in intimate DC ceremony
Ahead of ICE ops, New Orleans police leader lambasted for comments about enforcement of immigration law
Electricity Bills to Skyrocket This Holiday Season: Here’s Why
Red State Reignites Redistricting Battle After Trump Lights a Fire Under Republican Leadership
Scott Jennings Delivers Perfect Retort When Asked About FBI Investigating Dems Who Told Military to Ignore Trump
Congress races against 3-week deadline to tackle massive year-end legislative agenda
Top 5 game-changers from the 2025 campaign trail
Swalwell Short-Circuits When Asked if Biological Men Should Stay Out of Women’s Bathrooms
Conservative Gettysburg College group catches student on video tearing down promotional flyers
The Response Was Telling: Scott Jennings Presses Democrat to Name Illegal Order Trump Issued
Chinese cyberattack campaign likely impacted every American, former FBI official says
NYT Says Illegal ‘Borrowed’ Identities from American Citizens to Commit Fraud, Fails to Report Exactly How Stolen IDs Can Be Returned
Male ‘Trans’ TSA Agent Wants to Pat Down Women So Bad He’s Filing a Lawsuit Over it
Massachusetts man accused of beating parents and setting home on fire, leaving them to die
See also  Shedeur Sanders responds to Trump’s support after first win: ‘I TOLD YOU SO’

On Tuesday in London, Trump reiterated those plans. He also said that he did not think Republican lawmakers on Capitol Hill would act to block the tariffs, saying it would be “foolish” to do so.

Trump has told close aides in similar situations that he thinks it is often necessary to apply tariffs first and negotiate deals afterward in order to prove he is not bluffing. He sees tariffs as motivating other countries that want access to U.S. consumers to make concessions in negotiations.

Story cited here.

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter