News Opinons Politics

Trump Is About To Close The Lid On Birth Tourism

The Trump administration is reportedly planning to unveil a rule this week aimed at cracking down on “birth tourism” — a term referring to pregnant women travelling to the U.S. in order to give birth and secure U.S. citizenship for their child.

Three officials told Axios on Sunday that the plan will be unveiled in the days ahead, though it was unclear what enforcement mechanism would be utilized by the administration to prevent birth tourism.

President Trump has previously threatened to issue executive orders nullifying birthright citizenship, which is enshrined in the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution.


“This change is intended to address the national security and law enforcement risks associated with birth tourism, including criminal activity associated with the birth tourism industry,” one State Department official told Axios.

One senior U.S. official indicated to the news outlet that the rule set to be unveiled is just the first part in the process of cracking down on the practice.


Unbelievable – She Might Actually Win a District Dominated By Trump: Democrat Aftyn Behn’s Most Unhinged Moments
Afghan Suspect Faces First-Degree Murder Charge in National Guard Shooting
Watchdog group hits Letitia James with bar complaint after federal judge tosses case
Inside NORAD’s holiday command: How the same team that tracks Santa guards North America
National Guardsman shot in DC is ‘hanging on,’ family pleading for prayer, congressman says
Meta Tolerated Sex Traffickers With 17-Strike System, Lawsuit Claims
Criminal networks exploit US interstates to make human trafficking victims vanish: ‘Real plague’
This Is Why You Can’t Trust Public Schools: Teachers Union Teaches ‘Interrupting Whiteness’
Hegseth defends lethal strikes against alleged drug traffickers: ‘Biden coddled terrorists, we kill them’
White House implored to institutionalize DOGE after reports of premature demise
Court Rules 12-Year-Old’s Mother Cannot Read Her the Bible, Take Her to Church
Illinois man charged with arson after allegedly setting home ablaze on Thanksgiving
USCIS halts ‘all asylum decisions’ after DC shooting of National Guard members
Abbey Gate Gold Star father blisters Biden after Afghan national allegedly ambushes 2 National Guardsmen in DC
Northwestern to pay $75M in federal civil-rights deal after antisemitism probes

See also  How millions of illegal immigrants got jobs in the US

“Rome wasn’t built in a day,” the senior official told Axios. “Just the legal recognition that this is improper and wrong and not allowed is a significant step forward.”

Trump first indicated his desire to end birthright citizenship days before the 2018 midterm elections, and at the time received pushback from both congressional Republicans and Democrats over the idea, which they said would require a constitutional amendment.

“I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me it would take a constitutional amendment to change that as opposed to an executive order,” Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) said at the time.

The Hill has reached out to the White House for comment.

Story cited here.

 

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter