Uncategorized

Trump confronted on golf course about no-showing Florida court appearance

Former President Donald Trump said he didn't believe it was “necessary to appear at a court hearing Thursday regarding new charges related to classified documents found at Mar-a-Lago.

FIRST ON FOX: Former President Donald Trump said Thursday he didn’t think it was “necessary” to appear at a hearing Thursday regarding new charges related to classified documents found at his Mar-a-Lago residence in Palm Beach, Florida. 

Asked during a round of golf at his Bedminster, New Jersey, golf club why he chose to waive the court appearance, Trump responded, “I didn’t feel it was necessary.”

The comments from Trump came as he entered a not guilty plea to the new charges.


U.S. Magistrate Judge Shaniek Mills Maynard formally accepted the plea from Trump, who told the judge in court papers last week he is not guilty and waived his right to appear at Thursday’s hearing. Trump’s aide Walt Nauta and Carlos De Oliveira, the property manager of Mar-a-Lago, were both present for the hearing.

TRUMP, AIDE WALT NAUTA PLEAD NOT GUILTY TO NEW CHARGES IN CLASSIFIED DOCS CASE

Nauta also pleaded not guilty to the superseding indictment. De Oliveira was unable to enter a plea in the case because he still has not secured a Florida-based attorney, which is required under local court rules. His arraignment was pushed back a second time and is now scheduled for Tuesday.

De Oliveira and Nauta appeared in federal court in Fort Pierce, Florida, on an updated indictment brought by Special Counsel Jack Smith, alleging they schemed with the Republican former president and current 2024 GOP front-runner to try to delete Mar-a-Lago surveillance video sought by investigators.

See also  U.S. Marshals Open Fire Outside of SCOTUS Justice's House, Investigation Underway

Trump, Nauta and De Oliveira face charges that include conspiracy to obstruct justice in the case stemming from secret government documents found at Trump’s Palm Beach club after he left the White House in 2021. 

De Oliveira made his first court appearance in the case last week when he was released on $100,000 bond but could not be arraigned without retaining a Florida lawyer. Nauta’s arraignment had also been delayed several times due to similar circumstances.

DOJ RAISES POSSIBLE ‘CONFLICTS OF INTEREST’ WITH TRUMP AIDE WALT NAUTA’S DEFENSE LAWYER: ‘DIVIDED LOYALTIES’

Trump has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges in three different cases this year as he tries to reclaim the White House in 2024. The Republican has denied any wrongdoing and has characterized all the cases against him as politically motivated.

Trump pleaded not guilty in Washington, D.C., federal court last week in a second case brought by Smith that accuses Trump of conspiring with allies to overturn his 2020 election loss to Democrat Joe Biden.

The updated indictment in the documents case raises allegations about surveillance footage at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach. Trump is alleged to have asked for the footage to be deleted after FBI and Justice Department investigators visited in June 2022 to collect classified documents he took with him after leaving the White House.

The former president and his team deny the new allegations and have publicly stated that the footage was turned over to authorities.

See also  Sacramento city attorney reportedly threatened to fine Target store for reporting theft crimes

Fox News’ Danielle Wallace and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter