International News Opinons Politics

Trump Bans Travel from China, Orders 1st Quarantine in 50 Years

President Donald Trump has taken tough steps to protect Americans from the spread of theĀ coronavirus rampaging through China.

In an order issued Friday, federal officials announced that as of 5 p.m. Sunday, ā€œForeign nationals other than immediate family of U.S. citizens and permanent residents who have traveled in China in the last 14 days will be denied entry into United States.ā€

American citizens returning the U.S. from areas in China where they may have beenĀ exposed to the virusĀ will be quarantined, while others coming from the rest of China will be screened for the virus.


Earlier Friday, officials said Americans who evacuated from Wuhan earlier in the week would be quarantined for up to 14 days at March Air Reserve Base in California — the first mandatory quarantine order in the U.S. in 50 years, according toĀ NPR.

As of Saturday, about 250 had died from the virus and about 12,000 infections had been confirmed, according toĀ The New York Times. NoĀ deathsĀ have been reported outside of China.

Eight cases of the virus have been confirmed in theĀ United States.


Rep Troy Nehls, a Trump ally, will not seek re-election as twin brother announces campaign to replace him
Trump highlights federal law granting presidential power to halt immigration as crackdown escalates
Rioters arrested after attacking ICE vehicles in New York City; officials say group organized on social media
Christian Persecution Is on the Rise and the Media Is Downplaying It
Parolee with lengthy criminal history identified in deadly crash that killed Colorado father, 3 children
West Virginians Gather to Honor National Guard Slain By Afghan Refugee
Chicago Police Department Hit with Civil Rights Complaint for Race-Based Hiring Practices Meant to Address ‘Systemic Inequities’
Only 1 Day Before DC Shooting, Another Biden-Era Afghan National Arrested on Terrorism Charges
Patel: Heroic National Guard Soldiers Captured Shooter, Prevented Further Tragedy After Troops Ambushed, Shot
Iryna Zarutska’s Boyfriend Rips Judge Who Let Chicago Burning Suspect Go After He Had Being Arrested 72 Times
James Patterson claims Marilyn Monroe was murdered in explosive new book theory
Florida’s Lawsuit Against Planned Parenthood Just the Beginning
Texas girl rescued after sand hole she was digging collapses, burying her
Unbelievable – She Might Actually Win a District Dominated By Trump: Democrat Aftyn Behn’s Most Unhinged Moments
Afghan Suspect Faces First-Degree Murder Charge in National Guard Shooting

See also  Transgender inmates separated from females at special needs women’s prison following sexual abuse claims

The eighth case was reported Saturday inĀ Massachusetts. According to theĀ Boston Herald, the man infected had been in Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the virus. The other cases have been reported in California, Arizona, Washington state and Illinois.

Trump’s actions follow the declaration of a global health emergency over the virus and a State Department warning against travel to China.

ā€œThe risk of infection for Americans remains low,ā€ Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said, according to aĀ White House transcriptĀ of a briefing.

ā€œAnd with these and our previous actions, we are working to keep the risk low.Ā  All agencies are working aggressively to monitor this continually evolving situation and to keep the public informed in a constantly transparent way,ā€ he said.

During the briefing, Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control, said that the coronavirus represents ā€œa serious health situation in China, but I want to emphasize that the risk to the American public currently is low.Ā  Our goal is do all we can do to keep it that way.ā€

In response to the virus, incoming flights from China are limited to seven airports — San Francisco, Los Angeles International Airport, Seattle, John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City, Atlanta, Honolulu, and O’Hare Airport in Chicago. Delta, United and American have canceled flights to and from China, according toĀ CNBC.

Travel bans have been enacted by other nations, and other airlines have also temporarily stopped service to China.

See also  ā€˜Trump will probably come after me again’: Comey reacts to criminal case dismissal

Research published in ā€œThe Lancetā€ suggested that in Wuhan alone, the city where the virus was first detected, more than 75,000 people may be infected, according to theĀ South China Morning Post.


Rep Troy Nehls, a Trump ally, will not seek re-election as twin brother announces campaign to replace him
Trump highlights federal law granting presidential power to halt immigration as crackdown escalates
Rioters arrested after attacking ICE vehicles in New York City; officials say group organized on social media
Christian Persecution Is on the Rise and the Media Is Downplaying It
Parolee with lengthy criminal history identified in deadly crash that killed Colorado father, 3 children
West Virginians Gather to Honor National Guard Slain By Afghan Refugee
Chicago Police Department Hit with Civil Rights Complaint for Race-Based Hiring Practices Meant to Address ‘Systemic Inequities’
Only 1 Day Before DC Shooting, Another Biden-Era Afghan National Arrested on Terrorism Charges
Patel: Heroic National Guard Soldiers Captured Shooter, Prevented Further Tragedy After Troops Ambushed, Shot
Iryna Zarutska’s Boyfriend Rips Judge Who Let Chicago Burning Suspect Go After He Had Being Arrested 72 Times
James Patterson claims Marilyn Monroe was murdered in explosive new book theory
Florida’s Lawsuit Against Planned Parenthood Just the Beginning
Texas girl rescued after sand hole she was digging collapses, burying her
Unbelievable – She Might Actually Win a District Dominated By Trump: Democrat Aftyn Behn’s Most Unhinged Moments
Afghan Suspect Faces First-Degree Murder Charge in National Guard Shooting

See also  DOGE closes eight months early, but principles remain ā€˜alive and well’

Apple on Saturday announced it is closing all of its stores, offices and contact centers in China until Feb. 9 ā€œout of an abundance of caution and based on the latest advice from leading health experts,ā€Ā CBSĀ reported.

As the virus spreads, China hasĀ come under criticismĀ for not acting faster to reveal what was taking place in Wuhan.

ā€œIt’s clear that a much stronger public health system could save China lives and money,ā€ Ā Tom Frieden, former director of the CDC, said, according toĀ The Washington Post.

ā€œChina’s public health system has modernized, but China’s political system hasn’t,ā€ Jude Blanchette, head of China studies at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, said. ā€œIf anything, there’s been a regression.ā€

Story cited here.

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter