News Opinons Politics Second Amendment

New Orleans Mayor Issues Coronavirus Order Allowing Ban on Sale, Transportation of Firearms

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell (D) signed a coronavirus emergency order last week allowing her to ban the sale and transportation of firearms.

She signed a follow-up proclamation on March 16, 2020, further emphasizing her emergency powers to “suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation, of alcoholic beverages.”

The declaration declaring the mayor’s power to restrict gun sales and transportation says she is “empowered, if necessary, to suspend or limit the sale of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles.”


On March 16, 2020, the Second Amendment Foundation responded to Cantrell’s claims of emergency powers over firearms by reminding her that they sued over Second Amendment infringement following Hurricane Katrina and will do so during the era of coronavirus if needed.

SAF executive vice president Alan Gottlieb said:


BREAKING: Federal Judge Rules ICE Cannot Re-Detain Kilmar Abrego Garcia
Latina House Republican asks Supreme Court to block Dems’ bid to ‘racially gerrymander’ her out of Congress
Springsteen jabs Trump as ‘wannabe king’ as famed rocker launches concert tour ‘in defense of America’
Cheer mom, daughter dead in apparent murder-suicide after years-long custody fight: docs
Will Conservative Supreme Court Justices Step Down While Trump Can Still Replace Them? Midterm Results Might Force the Issue
Abrego Garcia to remain free from ICE custody as judge OKs travel for Tennessee hearing
Five injured, including firefighter, in church explosion following reported gas leak in upstate New York
Vance and Rubio would give GOP ‘potent one-two punch’ for 2028 ticket: Joe Concha
NBC News Buries Background of Latest Trans Mass Shooting Suspect – He ‘Also Went by the First Name Roberta’
Obama dragged for ‘headache’-inducing presidential center update that has visitors squinting
Minnesota Democrats demand reparations from ICE after losing $18 billion to Somali fraud
Dems Try to Cancel Republican Congressman After He Declares Americans Will Not Give Up Dogs to Appease NYC’s Muslims
Hamas dismisses Israel threat to ‘complete the mission’ if terrorist group doesn’t disarm
Mainstream liberals join Soros in bankrolling group backing DC jury nullification effort
Trump hammers AOC Munich stumbles as ‘not a good look for the United States’

Following Hurricane Katrina, we sued the city when then-Mayor Ray Nagin’s administration began confiscating firearms from law-abiding citizens for no good reason. The federal court order the city to cease confiscations.

We sued New Orleans then, and we’ll do it again. The presence of a nasty disease does not suspend any part of the Bill of Rights, no matter what some municipal, state or even federal politician may think. While we certainly recognize the seriousness of this virus and its ability to spread rapidly, treating Covid-19 and taking steps to prevent it from infecting more people has nothing at all to do with the exercise of the right to keep and bear arms under the Second Amendment.

Gottlieb added, “People legally licensed to carry should not have their right to do so suddenly curtailed because some politician panicked. We didn’t allow it before, and we’re not going to allow it now.”

See also  George Santos demands Nancy Mace list names in Epstein case: ‘So done with the theatrics’

On March 14, 2020, Breitbart News reported that Champaign, Illinois, Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen (D) issued an emergency coronavirus order that gives her the power to halt ammunition and firearm sales in the city.

Story cited here.

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter