Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) reacted to the successful U.S. airstrike on Iranian General Qassem Soleimani in Iraq on Thursday evening by complaining that Congress was not consulted in advance about it.
In a statement released by the Speaker’s office on Thursday evening, Pelosi demanded an immediate briefing:
American leaders’ highest priority is to protect American lives and interests. But we cannot put the lives of American servicemembers, diplomats and others further at risk by engaging in provocative and disproportionate actions. Tonight’s airstrike risks provoking further dangerous escalation of violence. America – and the world – cannot afford to have tensions escalate to the point of no return.
The Administration has conducted tonight’s strikes in Iraq targeting high-level Iranian military officials and killing Iranian Quds Force Commander Qasem Soleimani without an Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) against Iran. Further, this action was taken without the consultation of the Congress.
Trump rips Newsom’s UK pact as 2028 showdown chatter grows
Multiple people shot at Rhode Island ice rink in domestic violence-related murder-suicide
Obama calls Los Angeles homelessness an ‘atrocity,’ criticizes ‘losing’ political strategy
TMZ pleads with man to prove himself after receiving fourth letter claiming to know where Nancy Guthrie is
Agitator arrested on battery charge outside Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course
BREAKING: Legendary Actor Robert Duvall Dead at 95
Priceless: ‘I Want My Mommy!’ – Anti-ICE Student Tangles With Cop, Begins Wailing for Her Mom as Soon as Cuffs Go On
Montana governor launches sanctuary crackdown, probes capital city over ICE limits
‘At some point, you age out’: Obama urges Democrats to pass torch to younger candidates
Woke Actress Says Minneapolis Shootings Ruined Her Oscar Nomination, Pushes Debunked ICE Child ‘Kidnapping’ Story
Dem Auditor Sues Her Own Party Amid $12M Fraud Bombshell: ‘What Are They Hiding?’
Watch This Previously Unimaginable ‘Backward Finish’ Where Olympic Skier Wins by… Skiing Backwards Across Finish Line
Transit funding hits record highs as ridership languishes, new report questions return on billions
Guthrie Kidnapping Update: FBI Discovers Apparent Link to Kidnapping 2 Miles from Victim’s Home, DNA Results Already Coming In
Hiker dies near summit of New York’s tallest peak after slipping off trail
The full Congress must be immediately briefed on this serious situation and on the next steps under consideration by the Administration, including the significant escalation of the deployment of additional troops to the region.
A spokesperson for Pelosi confirmed that she had not been notified in advance and only spoke to Secretary of Defense Mark Esper after the attack.
Speaker Pelosi spox says she spoke to Secretary of Defense Mark Esper after the Soleimani strike as no advance notification was given as statement indicated. Pelosi + Esper connected last night via text phone around 9:40pm. Call lasted 13 mins.
— Alex Moe (@AlexNBCNews) January 3, 2020
Pelosi has yet to notify the Senate formally about the impeachment of President Donald Trump — 16 days ago.
Story cited here.









