The Washington Post’s headline describing former ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi as a “religious scholar” is a false, “sick” narrative and should be viewed as “appalling,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday on “Fox & Friends.”
Pompeo said the newspaper’s timing and choice of words were completely out of line and called for those responsible to apologize.
“I think it’s appalling and sick … that they’ve frankly not apologized for taking this man who was the head of the terrorist organization that beheaded people… who led a caliphate that threatened large pieces of the Middle East and indeed, presented risks to the United States and America,” Pompeo said.
USCIS halts ‘all asylum decisions’ after DC shooting of National Guard members
Abbey Gate Gold Star father blisters Biden after Afghan national allegedly ambushes 2 National Guardsmen in DC
Utah death row inmate with dementia dies of natural causes 3 months after execution was halted
At least two reported victims with gunshot wounds at Valley Fair Mall in California on Black Friday: police
State Department ‘immediately’ halts all Afghan passport visas following deadly National Guard attack
Trump plans ‘full and complete pardon’ for former Honduran president convicted of drug trafficking
A look back at the biggest presidential Thanksgiving scandals, surprises
Erika Kirk Shares First Thanksgiving Message Since Her Husband’s Passing
Political turkeys of 2025: Blunders of 2025 that will never be pardoned by the public
USA Today’s Spin on National Guard Shooting Shows Why Legacy Outlets Are Dying
Where the Trump admin’s court fight over National Guard in DC stands in wake of shooting
House Republican Calls for Full Pause on ALL Immigration After D.C. Attack: ‘Deport Every Non-Citizen’
NYC Council is Considering a Massive Pay Bump For Mamdani Before He Even Takes Office
Slotkin goes silent when pressed on past Trump guard ‘shooting’ claims after DC attack
In-store Black Friday crowds underwhelm as online shopping surges
“The fact that a national newspaper would describe this person as an “austere scholar” in their headline — in the immediate aftermath of the achievements of President Trump and the administration, is truly appalling,” Pompeo continued.
Al-Baghdadi, who took over as the head of ISIS after his predecessor Abu Omar al-Baghdadi was killed in 2010, detonated a suicide vest as U.S. special forces closed in. Troops were sent to attack a compound in northern Syria where al-Baghdadi was located, according to a U.S. defense official.
No U.S. Special Operations forces were harmed or killed during the mission, and Trump claimed the operation had been in the works for several weeks.
Fox News host Sean Hannity also weighed in on the headline and called it “sick and repulsive,” in a Sunday Twitter post.
USCIS halts ‘all asylum decisions’ after DC shooting of National Guard members
Abbey Gate Gold Star father blisters Biden after Afghan national allegedly ambushes 2 National Guardsmen in DC
Utah death row inmate with dementia dies of natural causes 3 months after execution was halted
At least two reported victims with gunshot wounds at Valley Fair Mall in California on Black Friday: police
State Department ‘immediately’ halts all Afghan passport visas following deadly National Guard attack
Trump plans ‘full and complete pardon’ for former Honduran president convicted of drug trafficking
A look back at the biggest presidential Thanksgiving scandals, surprises
Erika Kirk Shares First Thanksgiving Message Since Her Husband’s Passing
Political turkeys of 2025: Blunders of 2025 that will never be pardoned by the public
USA Today’s Spin on National Guard Shooting Shows Why Legacy Outlets Are Dying
Where the Trump admin’s court fight over National Guard in DC stands in wake of shooting
House Republican Calls for Full Pause on ALL Immigration After D.C. Attack: ‘Deport Every Non-Citizen’
NYC Council is Considering a Massive Pay Bump For Mamdani Before He Even Takes Office
Slotkin goes silent when pressed on past Trump guard ‘shooting’ claims after DC attack
In-store Black Friday crowds underwhelm as online shopping surges
“An ‘austere religious scholar’? ‘Dead at 48’? No—he was cornered by the greatest, toughest, best military heroes on earth!! How about we killed the evil SOB. This is exactly why America will never trust these mainstream corrupt fake news outlets ever again,” Hannity tweeted.









