A suspect is in custody after killing at least four people and injuring two others apparently attacked at random in a deadly stabbing and robbery spree across two cities in Orange County Wednesday, authorities said.
The 33-year-old man from Garden Grove started the rampage just after 4 p.m. and robbed more than half a dozen businesses during a two-hour wave of violence, police said. His name was not immediately released, but police planned to discuss the case at a Thursday afternoon news conference.
The violence appeared to be random and the only known motives seem to be “robbery, hate, homicide,” Garden Grove police Lt. Carl Whitney said at a news conference.
“These were random acts of violence — our suspect was not involved with any of the victims,” said Whitney.
What the Data Actually Says About Abortion and Women’s Health
California’s New Congressional Maps Favoring Dems Could Be Struck Down by the Supreme Court: Report
Breaking: OJ Simpson Witness and LAPD Detective Mark Fuhrman Dead at 74
Report: Immigrants Are Voluntarily Leaving US in Record Numbers Under Trump
DC Bar lawyer withdraws from Ed Martin disciplinary case after partisan posts surface
Hegseth unleashes on Massie in GOP primary showdown against Trump-backed Navy SEAL vet
Austin shooting suspect named, timeline of terror revealed after teens’ alleged 28-hour, 12-attack rampage
Mark Fuhrman, detective at center of OJ Simpson murder trial, dead at 74
Senate Republicans confirm nearly 50 of Trump’s picks for energy, land management
WATCH: Mamdani bashed for going ‘full deranged marxist’ with rip on famous Ronald Reagan line
Breaking: 2 Shooters at California Islamic Center Neutralized – Multiple Causalities Confirmed
Trump Sends First of Its Kind Message to ‘Rededicate 250’ Attendees Who Flooded the National Mall to Recommit America to God
Skid Row election scheme allegedly fueled by pocket-change payoffs busted by Trump DOJ
WATCH: Eye-popping illegal immigration stat prompts senator’s demand to ‘redouble’ deportations
Senate Republican threatens to derail ICE, Border Patrol package over Trump’s billion-dollar request
Four people were killed and two others wounded during a robbery and stabbing rampage. Hetty Chang and Jane Yamamoto report for NBC4 News at 11 p.m. on Aug. 7, 2019.
(Published Wednesday, Aug. 7, 2019)
The rampage began with the report of a burglary at an apartment complex in the 12100 block Jentges Avenue in Garden Grove and proceeded to a robbery at a bakery. The suspect also lives in the apartment complex where the original robbery occurred, police said.
Later, police responded to the same apartment complex after two men were stabbed in some kind of confrontation. One man died at the apartment complex and the other died later at a hospital, Santa Ana police said.
“We believe our two victims in the apartment somehow confronted the suspect and an altercation occurred,” Whitney said. “We’ve learned, so far, that our suspect does reside here in the same apartment complex.”
One woman at the scene said she believes her husband is one of the victims, but hadn’t been able to find him.
“They cannot give us answers,” she said. “I have to know what’s going on with him.”
The suspect went on to attack two more people, police said: a woman was stabbed during a robbery at an insurance company, and a man pumping gas at a Chevron gas station was stabbed several times and had his nose nearly severed in the attack, police said.
Both victims were taken to hospitals and listed in stable condition Wednesday night. One employee at the insurance company witnessed the attack through a live-circuit TV, Whitney said.
“He saw that his employee had been stabbed multiple times,” he said.
Chevron employee Taylor Lorenzen said the suspect came inside the store “kind of angry” and threw a $50 bill on the counter. The man stabbed while pumping gas was “bleeding everywhere,” Lorenzen said.
“A lot of citizens came forward and rendered aid to the guy with his nose nearly that was nearly severed off,” Whitney said. “They were willing to come forward and help the police department, give us information that was crucial in getting this guy identified and help this guy who was stabbed and sustained serious injuries. The public really stepped up to help this guy.”
From the gas station, the suspect went to a Subway restaurant in the 3800 block of West First Street and allegedly stabbed a person to death. The rampage continued at a nearby 7-Eleven near the intersection of West First Street and Harbor Boulevard, where he attacked a security guard, the Santa Ana Police Department said.
The security guard died at the hospital, police said.
Cellphone video of the suspect driving in a silver Mercedes helped police track him to the 7-Eleven.
The man was arrested as he walked out of the convenience store, dropping a knife and a gun he had taken from the security guard after stabbing him, police said.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
Source: Man Arrested After Stabbing Spree Leaves 4 Dead in Orange County









