A judge in Chicago ordered that “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett’s criminal records be unsealed after news organizations went to court to get them last week.
The records involving the 36-year-old actor had been sealed back in March shortly after charges against him were dropped by prosecutors, according to ABC7 Chicago on Thursday.
He was arrested and faced multiple felony charges for allegedly faking a hate crime that involved racist and homophobic slurs against himself in January.
Media attorney Natalie Spears argued that there was no point in keeping the records sealed anymore.
How to watch President Trump’s 2026 State of the Union address to Congress live
Climate groups sue Trump administration over EPA’s bombshell deregulation decision
Trump Admin Cancels Visas for 100,000 Foreign Nationals Who Don’t Meet American Standards
Developing: Bad News as DNA Results in Guthrie Kidnapping Come in to FBI
‘Devil in the Ozarks’ gets more prison time for escaping, now in supermax facility
Bald eagle floating on Hudson River ice rescued by NYPD
Minnesota Officials Forced to Sound the Alarms Over Fungal STD Outbreak
Watch: Whoopi Goldberg Rushes to Explain Why She Was in the Epstein Files Seeking to Use His Private Jet
Immigration judge blocks deportation of Columbia anti-Israel agitator
Sanders-endorsed Senate candidate knocked for alleged flip-flop to ‘have it both ways’ on key issue
Hollywood Star Arrested, Charged After Altercation: ‘Held Down Until Police Arrived’
NYC Board of Elections worker says ‘not my job to report anyone’ when asked about registering non-citizens
Gun store owner says FBI asked him to check firearm sales against list of names, pics in Guthrie case
Mike Lee calls Schumer’s ‘Jim Crow 2.0’ attack on voter ID bill ‘paranoid fantasy’
Palestinian activist accused of expressing desire to ‘kill Jews’ wins deportation case
“There is no way to secrete the fact of Jussie Smollett’s arrest. At this point it is widely and publicly known from here to Helsinki and back,” Spears shared, per the Chicago Tribune. “No potential employer, let alone anyone with a pulse, does not know about Jussie Smollett’s arrest at this point.”
Meanwhile, one of Smollett’s attorney, Brian Watson, argued that the actor had a right to privacy afforded to other people.
“The root of this problem is not Mr. Smollett,” Watson shared. “The root of this problem is that the media, Mrs. Spears’ clients, created publicity, and now her clients want to use that against someone who wants to get their rights back.”
As previously reported, the actor initially claimed he was attacked on the streets of his home in Chicago by two men who he said threw a rope around his neck and poured a bleach-like substance on him. They also reportedly yelled racist and homophobic slurs at him.
How to watch President Trump’s 2026 State of the Union address to Congress live
Climate groups sue Trump administration over EPA’s bombshell deregulation decision
Trump Admin Cancels Visas for 100,000 Foreign Nationals Who Don’t Meet American Standards
Developing: Bad News as DNA Results in Guthrie Kidnapping Come in to FBI
‘Devil in the Ozarks’ gets more prison time for escaping, now in supermax facility
Bald eagle floating on Hudson River ice rescued by NYPD
Minnesota Officials Forced to Sound the Alarms Over Fungal STD Outbreak
Watch: Whoopi Goldberg Rushes to Explain Why She Was in the Epstein Files Seeking to Use His Private Jet
Immigration judge blocks deportation of Columbia anti-Israel agitator
Sanders-endorsed Senate candidate knocked for alleged flip-flop to ‘have it both ways’ on key issue
Hollywood Star Arrested, Charged After Altercation: ‘Held Down Until Police Arrived’
NYC Board of Elections worker says ‘not my job to report anyone’ when asked about registering non-citizens
Gun store owner says FBI asked him to check firearm sales against list of names, pics in Guthrie case
Mike Lee calls Schumer’s ‘Jim Crow 2.0’ attack on voter ID bill ‘paranoid fantasy’
Palestinian activist accused of expressing desire to ‘kill Jews’ wins deportation case
However, by the end of the investigation police concluded the attack on the “Empire” star was a hoax. Soon after, he was arrested and faced 16 felony counts of disorderly conduct for making a false police report.
Then all charges against him were suddenly dropped by the State Attorney’s office.
The records are expected to be unsealed Thursday.









