International News Opinons Politics

Ilhan Omar Pushes Conspiracy Theory: Trump ‘Needs the Distraction’ of War with Iran

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) reacted to the U.S.’s assassination of a top Iranian commander on Thursday evening by warning that she will “step in and stop” President Donald Trump, while a spreading conspiracy theory about his motive behind the deadly strike.

“So what if Trump wants war, knows this leads to war and needs the distraction?” Omar, a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, asked on social media. “Real question is, will those with congressional authority step in and stop him? I know I will.”


Former top Oregon GOP official secures nomination for governor as Republicans target blue-state pickup
Trump-backed senator cruises to primary win, setting up potential 4th term
Bob Brooks wins Pennsylvania’s 7th District primary to take on Ryan Mackenzie in general election
Three stabbed at crowded Rhode Island beach as hundreds of teens pack area, police say
Bob Harvie wins Pennsylvania’s 1st District primary to set showdown with Brian Fitzpatrick
Trump ally Tommy Tuberville cruises to Alabama GOP governor nomination
Kentucky physician advances to general election after receiving glowing Trump endorsement: ‘True friend’
Pentagon cuts Brigade Combat Teams in Europe as Trump pressures NATO on spending
Stelson-Perry rematch set in Pennsylvania’s 10th District
Gallup Poll: Americans Would Rather Live Near a Nuclear Power Plant Than an AI Data Center
Breaking: Thomas Massie Loses to Trump-Backed Ed Gallrein in Hotly Contested Primary
Tragic: College Football Player Dead at 22, Coach Says ‘He Will Be Sincerely Missed’
Ketanji Brown Jackson Publicly Trashes All 8 of Her Fellow Supreme Court Justices
Trump admin readies Raul Castro indictment as fatal shootdown case resurfaces: sources
Oklahoma Newspaper Pulls Jewish Writer’s Op-Ed Praising OKC Thunder and Israel for Thriving Against Bigger Rivals

See also  Faith and government leaders celebrate US as ‘One Nation Under God’ at Rededicate 250

The Pentagon said Thursday that the U.S. military has killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force, at the direction of President Donald Trump.

An airstrike killed Soleimani, the architect of Iran’s regional security apparatus, at Baghdad’s international airport Friday, Iranian state television and three Iraqi officials said. The attack is expected to draw severe Iranian retaliation against Israel and American interests.

The Defense Department said Soleimani “was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region.” It also accused Soleimani of approving the attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad earlier this week.

A statement released late Thursday by the Pentagon said the strike on Soleimani “was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans.”

The strike also killed Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, deputy commander of Iran-backed militias in Iraq known as the Popular Mobilization Forces, or PMF, Iraqi officials said. The PMF media arm said the two were killed in an American airstrike that targeted their vehicle on the road to the airport. Citing a Revolutionary Guard statement, Iranian state television said Soleimani was “martyred” in an attack by U.S. helicopters near the airport, without elaborating. President Donald Trump, who was vacationing on his estate in Palm Beach, Florida, but sent out a tweet of an American flag.


Former top Oregon GOP official secures nomination for governor as Republicans target blue-state pickup
Trump-backed senator cruises to primary win, setting up potential 4th term
Bob Brooks wins Pennsylvania’s 7th District primary to take on Ryan Mackenzie in general election
Three stabbed at crowded Rhode Island beach as hundreds of teens pack area, police say
Bob Harvie wins Pennsylvania’s 1st District primary to set showdown with Brian Fitzpatrick
Trump ally Tommy Tuberville cruises to Alabama GOP governor nomination
Kentucky physician advances to general election after receiving glowing Trump endorsement: ‘True friend’
Pentagon cuts Brigade Combat Teams in Europe as Trump pressures NATO on spending
Stelson-Perry rematch set in Pennsylvania’s 10th District
Gallup Poll: Americans Would Rather Live Near a Nuclear Power Plant Than an AI Data Center
Breaking: Thomas Massie Loses to Trump-Backed Ed Gallrein in Hotly Contested Primary
Tragic: College Football Player Dead at 22, Coach Says ‘He Will Be Sincerely Missed’
Ketanji Brown Jackson Publicly Trashes All 8 of Her Fellow Supreme Court Justices
Trump admin readies Raul Castro indictment as fatal shootdown case resurfaces: sources
Oklahoma Newspaper Pulls Jewish Writer’s Op-Ed Praising OKC Thunder and Israel for Thriving Against Bigger Rivals

Earlier in the week, President Trump threatened to hold Iran accountable for the attack on the U.S. Embassy, stating they would pay a “BIG PRICE.” for their actions.

See also  Sean Spicer-linked group makes case for Trump to seniors before midterm elections

“The U.S. Embassy in Iraq is, & has been for hours, SAFE! Many of our great Warfighters, together with the most lethal military equipment in the world, was immediately rushed to the site. Thank you to the President & Prime Minister of Iraq for their rapid response upon request,” the president tweeted Tuesday.

“Iran will be held fully responsible for lives lost, or damage incurred, at any of our facilities. They will pay a very BIG PRICE! This is not a Warning, it is a Threat. Happy New Year!” he added.


Former top Oregon GOP official secures nomination for governor as Republicans target blue-state pickup
Trump-backed senator cruises to primary win, setting up potential 4th term
Bob Brooks wins Pennsylvania’s 7th District primary to take on Ryan Mackenzie in general election
Three stabbed at crowded Rhode Island beach as hundreds of teens pack area, police say
Bob Harvie wins Pennsylvania’s 1st District primary to set showdown with Brian Fitzpatrick
Trump ally Tommy Tuberville cruises to Alabama GOP governor nomination
Kentucky physician advances to general election after receiving glowing Trump endorsement: ‘True friend’
Pentagon cuts Brigade Combat Teams in Europe as Trump pressures NATO on spending
Stelson-Perry rematch set in Pennsylvania’s 10th District
Gallup Poll: Americans Would Rather Live Near a Nuclear Power Plant Than an AI Data Center
Breaking: Thomas Massie Loses to Trump-Backed Ed Gallrein in Hotly Contested Primary
Tragic: College Football Player Dead at 22, Coach Says ‘He Will Be Sincerely Missed’
Ketanji Brown Jackson Publicly Trashes All 8 of Her Fellow Supreme Court Justices
Trump admin readies Raul Castro indictment as fatal shootdown case resurfaces: sources
Oklahoma Newspaper Pulls Jewish Writer’s Op-Ed Praising OKC Thunder and Israel for Thriving Against Bigger Rivals

Sen. Ted Cruz, (R-TX), a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, lauded President Trump for ordering the strike, calling the move “long-overdue justice.”

See also  Sean Spicer-linked group makes case for Trump to seniors before midterm elections

“The end of Qasem Soleimani is welcome and long-overdue justice for the thousands of Americans killed or wounded by his Iranian-controlled forces across the Middle East, and for the hundreds of thousands of Syrians and Iraqi Sunnis ethnically cleansed by his militias,” Cruz said in a statement. “It is also long-overdue justice for our Israeli allies who have suffered decades of terrorism at the hands of Hezbollah terrorists commanded by his IRGC Quds Force. The message to all those who mean harm to America is loud and clear.”

Story cited here.

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter