Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is waging an increasingly high-profile battle against an elderly barber, and he appears to be winning in both the courts of law and public opinion.
Karl Manke, a 77-year-old from Owosso, reopened his shop after he was turned down for unemployment.
Amid the legal threats from Whitmer’s administration, he recently responded, “What, are they going to give me? Life? I’ve got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. I could care less.”
“As long as I have two hands and I’m capable of cutting hair, that’s my occupation,” Manke said. “That’s what I do. That’s what I’m going to continue to do.”
Labor Dept deploys ‘strike team’ to California over $21B unemployment debt, fraud concerns
Mamdani Changes Mind on Homeless Policy After Multiple People Die
Trump approves DC emergency declaration over Potomac sewage spill, FEMA mobilizes
Pope Leo Lets Trump Know Whether He Will Join ‘Board of Peace’
CBS News Covers Fire at Renee Good Memorial After Ignoring Left’s Defacing of Charlie Kirk Tributes
Too Little, Too Late? NBA Aims to Address One of the Biggest Problems in the League
Family of Ohio teacher ‘clinging to faith’ after ex-‘American Idol’ contestant husband charged with her murder
Ex-American Idol contestant charged in wife’s murder previously described as ‘very talented’ church leader
Gunasekara: How Trump EPA Upending Climate Scam Revives US Industry
Trump risks GOP midterm election prospects by vowing to stay the course on tariffs
Mel Gibson’s ‘Passion of the Christ’ Sequel Sets the Record Straight After Excommunicated Archbishop Spotted on Set: Report
Bureaucrats hide true price of Obama Presidential Center as taxpayers hit with infrastructure bill
Judge forces CA hospital to keep trans treatments for minors despite Trump funding threat
Anti-ICE church protesters insist case is not spreading conspiracy, requiring extensive evidence review
ICE arrests illegal immigrants convicted of child rape, sexual assault, drug trafficking
Manke addressed supporters outside his shop on Monday.
“I’d gone six weeks without a paycheck with no money coming in. I’ve been in this business 59 years…I’m 77. I’ve always worked,” he said.
“I’ve never looked for handouts. I don’t even know what they are. I had somebody call me and say why don’t you get on food stamps. I don’t want to get on food stamps. I want to work.”
“I came into this last Monday alone, thinking I’m going to swing in the wind alone,” he said. “I cannot believe the support that I’ve got,” he added to cheers, with some responding, “You are not alone!”
“It’s overwhelming,” he added, getting choked up.
Another day, Manke made it clear he was going to defy Whitmer’s orders.
Labor Dept deploys ‘strike team’ to California over $21B unemployment debt, fraud concerns
Mamdani Changes Mind on Homeless Policy After Multiple People Die
Trump approves DC emergency declaration over Potomac sewage spill, FEMA mobilizes
Pope Leo Lets Trump Know Whether He Will Join ‘Board of Peace’
CBS News Covers Fire at Renee Good Memorial After Ignoring Left’s Defacing of Charlie Kirk Tributes
Too Little, Too Late? NBA Aims to Address One of the Biggest Problems in the League
Family of Ohio teacher ‘clinging to faith’ after ex-‘American Idol’ contestant husband charged with her murder
Ex-American Idol contestant charged in wife’s murder previously described as ‘very talented’ church leader
Gunasekara: How Trump EPA Upending Climate Scam Revives US Industry
Trump risks GOP midterm election prospects by vowing to stay the course on tariffs
Mel Gibson’s ‘Passion of the Christ’ Sequel Sets the Record Straight After Excommunicated Archbishop Spotted on Set: Report
Bureaucrats hide true price of Obama Presidential Center as taxpayers hit with infrastructure bill
Judge forces CA hospital to keep trans treatments for minors despite Trump funding threat
Anti-ICE church protesters insist case is not spreading conspiracy, requiring extensive evidence review
ICE arrests illegal immigrants convicted of child rape, sexual assault, drug trafficking
He told radio host Steve Gruber he will only leave his shop “if they drag me out in the street or Jesus comes.”
Manke’s levity is a striking contrast to Whitmer’s attempts to appear tough.
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer: "These executive orders are not a suggestion. They're not optional. They're not helpful hints." pic.twitter.com/ImffRfwPyb
— The Hill (@thehill) May 11, 2020
When asked specifically about Manke defying her edicts, Whitmer responded, “I expect people to follow the law. These executive orders are not a suggestion. They’re not optional. They’re not helpful hints.”
Despite failing to obtain a restraining order against the barber on Monday, Whitmer’s administration is continuing to pursue him in court.
The AG said:
The Attorney General’s court action, filed on behalf of MDHHS, seeks to enforce the MDHHS Director’s Public Health Order that deemed Mr. Manke’s business an imminent danger to public health in light of the COVID 19 pandemic and directs him to immediately cease operations at his barbershop. The State is seeking to schedule a hearing as soon as possible.
Labor Dept deploys ‘strike team’ to California over $21B unemployment debt, fraud concerns
Mamdani Changes Mind on Homeless Policy After Multiple People Die
Trump approves DC emergency declaration over Potomac sewage spill, FEMA mobilizes
Pope Leo Lets Trump Know Whether He Will Join ‘Board of Peace’
CBS News Covers Fire at Renee Good Memorial After Ignoring Left’s Defacing of Charlie Kirk Tributes
Too Little, Too Late? NBA Aims to Address One of the Biggest Problems in the League
Family of Ohio teacher ‘clinging to faith’ after ex-‘American Idol’ contestant husband charged with her murder
Ex-American Idol contestant charged in wife’s murder previously described as ‘very talented’ church leader
Gunasekara: How Trump EPA Upending Climate Scam Revives US Industry
Trump risks GOP midterm election prospects by vowing to stay the course on tariffs
Mel Gibson’s ‘Passion of the Christ’ Sequel Sets the Record Straight After Excommunicated Archbishop Spotted on Set: Report
Bureaucrats hide true price of Obama Presidential Center as taxpayers hit with infrastructure bill
Judge forces CA hospital to keep trans treatments for minors despite Trump funding threat
Anti-ICE church protesters insist case is not spreading conspiracy, requiring extensive evidence review
ICE arrests illegal immigrants convicted of child rape, sexual assault, drug trafficking
The AG asserted Manke’s open business presents “clear public health dangers.”
After the close of business on Tuesday, Whitmer’s administration stripped Manke of his operating license, his attorney said.
“Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs has suspended Karl’s license,” attorney David Kallman told radio host Steve Gruber.
“Not thinking about it, they’ve actually done it without a hearing, without any due process,” he added, saying the action took place some time after 5:00 p.m.
“It’s an unbelievable abuse of power,” Kallman said, arguing there’s no legal basis for the action.
“This is pure retribution by the governor’s office and by the AG. This is so petty and vindictive, it’s beyond the pale,” he told Gruber.
According Kallman, the AG claimed one of the reasons for the license suspension was because Manke was violating the temporary restraining order–which was never granted.
Story cited here.









