The Pentagon announced Sunday afternoon that Defense Secretary Mark Esper has asked Navy Secretary Richard Spencer to resign for not telling him that he had a private conversation with the White House over the taking away of Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher’s Navy SEAL Trident pin.
“Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper has asked for the resignation of Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer after losing trust and confidence in him regarding his lack of candor over conversations with the White House involving the handling of Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher,” the Pentagon’s chief spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement Sunday.
Trump had intervened in recent weeks to restore Gallagher’s rank, which was reduced by the Navy after he was convicted of taking a photo with a deceased Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) fighter.
The Navy then announced it would launch a review board to consider whether to take away Gallagher’s Trident pin, essentially kicking him out of the Navy SEALs. Trump tweeted that the Navy would do no such thing, but Spencer said it would proceed until receiving an official order from the president, which he would follow.
At least two dead after ‘targeted’ shooting at Rhode Island hockey game
China pledges aid to Ukraine as US officials warn Beijing is quietly fueling Russia’s war
ICE sweeps up convicted pedophiles, traffickers in massive holiday weekend sting: ‘Worst of the worst’
Video: A Liberal Karen Proudly Brags TPUSA School Event Was Reported to Child Protective Services Because She Didn’t Like It
Nancy Guthrie’s family cleared in kidnapping case, with sheriff ‘begging’ media to show compassion
Video: AOC Finally Admits It: They Made Up ‘Whiteness’ – And the Reason They Did It Is Literally Satanic
Trump rips Newsom’s UK pact as 2028 showdown chatter grows
Multiple people shot at Rhode Island ice rink in domestic violence-related murder-suicide
Obama calls Los Angeles homelessness an ‘atrocity,’ criticizes ‘losing’ political strategy
TMZ pleads with man to prove himself after receiving fourth letter claiming to know where Nancy Guthrie is
Agitator arrested on battery charge outside Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course
BREAKING: Legendary Actor Robert Duvall Dead at 95
Priceless: ‘I Want My Mommy!’ – Anti-ICE Student Tangles With Cop, Begins Wailing for Her Mom as Soon as Cuffs Go On
Montana governor launches sanctuary crackdown, probes capital city over ICE limits
‘At some point, you age out’: Obama urges Democrats to pass torch to younger candidates
The Pentagon said in its statement that after Esper and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley spoke with President Trump on Friday regarding Gallagher’s case, Esper learned that “Spencer had previously and privately proposed to the White House — contrary to Spencer’s public position — to restore Gallagher’s rank and allow him to retire with his Trident pin.”
“When recently asked by Secretary Esper, Secretary Spencer confirmed that despite multiple conversations on the Gallagher matter, Secretary Esper was never informed by Secretary Spencer of his private proposal,” Hoffman said.
Hoffman also announced that Esper has directed that Gallagher retain his Trident pin, and that Navy Under Secretary Thomas Modley would now be acting Navy secretary.
Hoffman said:
Secretary Esper’s position with regard to UCMJ, disciplinary, and fitness for duty actions has always been that the process should be allowed to play itself out objectively and deliberately, in fairness to all parties. However, at this point, given the events of the last few days, Secretary Esper has directed that Gallagher retain his Trident pin. Secretary Esper will meet with Navy Under Secretary (now Acting Secretary) Thomas Modley and the Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Michael Gilday on Monday morning to discuss the way ahead.
At least two dead after ‘targeted’ shooting at Rhode Island hockey game
China pledges aid to Ukraine as US officials warn Beijing is quietly fueling Russia’s war
ICE sweeps up convicted pedophiles, traffickers in massive holiday weekend sting: ‘Worst of the worst’
Video: A Liberal Karen Proudly Brags TPUSA School Event Was Reported to Child Protective Services Because She Didn’t Like It
Nancy Guthrie’s family cleared in kidnapping case, with sheriff ‘begging’ media to show compassion
Video: AOC Finally Admits It: They Made Up ‘Whiteness’ – And the Reason They Did It Is Literally Satanic
Trump rips Newsom’s UK pact as 2028 showdown chatter grows
Multiple people shot at Rhode Island ice rink in domestic violence-related murder-suicide
Obama calls Los Angeles homelessness an ‘atrocity,’ criticizes ‘losing’ political strategy
TMZ pleads with man to prove himself after receiving fourth letter claiming to know where Nancy Guthrie is
Agitator arrested on battery charge outside Trump’s West Palm Beach golf course
BREAKING: Legendary Actor Robert Duvall Dead at 95
Priceless: ‘I Want My Mommy!’ – Anti-ICE Student Tangles With Cop, Begins Wailing for Her Mom as Soon as Cuffs Go On
Montana governor launches sanctuary crackdown, probes capital city over ICE limits
‘At some point, you age out’: Obama urges Democrats to pass torch to younger candidates
The Pentagon statement included a quote from Esper: “I am deeply troubled by this conduct shown by a senior DOD official. Unfortunately, as a result I have determined that Secretary Spencer no longer has my confidence to continue in his position. I wish Richard well.”
Esper has proposed that Ambassador Kenneth Braithwaite, current U.S. Ambassador to Norway and a retired Navy Rear Admiral, be considered as the next Secretary of the Navy, the statement said.
Story cited here.









