News Opinons Politics

CBP Awards Contracts to Build 65 Miles of New Border Wall

The U.S. government awarded three separate contracts Monday to construct approximately 65 miles of new border wall in the Rio Grande Valley, according to a statement from U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

The three contracts, totaling in value at just over $812 million, are for a brand-new wall segment, consisting of an 18-30 foot wall, lighting, cameras, and other surveillance technology.

According to the statement, the Rio Grand Valley “is the busiest Sector in the nation and accounts for approximately 40% of the illegal alien apprehensions.” The region, known for its rough terrain and limited access, also ranks first in cocaine and marijuana busts along the southwest border for the fiscal year.



Trump says Iran deal ‘largely negotiated’ as 84-day war nears possible end
Newsom declares state of emergency in Orange County as failing chemical tank nears catastrophic explosion
Breaking: US-Iran Peace Deal Nearly Reached
RFK Jr announces ‘largest autism fraud bust in American history’ with $46.6M Medicaid scheme indictment
US Army hits 2026 recruiting goals four months early, Pete Hegseth announces at West Point commencement
Breaking: Kyle Busch’s Family Reveals Cause of Death
EXCLUSIVE: Trump-backed military vet mocked for disability ahead of Memorial Day: ‘Most shameful thing’
What One Illinois Town Says About The Current State Of America
Instant Noodle Product Recalled After Life-Threatening Allergens Detected
Possible Statue of Pharaoh Who Moses May Have Confronted Discovered in Egypt
Sanders-backed gubernatorial hopeful’s past pro-life views clash with current abortion stance
Trump Issues Forceful Defense of His Anti-Weaponization Fund as Senate Republicans Balk
Military families want DOJ to distribute nearly $800M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS
‘Moderate’ Dem’s unearthed ‘deconstruct’ law enforcement comments draw fire from GOP critics
Inside the rise of hardship politics as wealthy Democrats eye 2028
See also  Sean Spicer-linked group makes case for Trump to seniors before midterm elections

The statement also announced that the projects will not be under the umbrella of President Trump’s National Emergency Declaration, and will not come from Department of Defense funding.

The news comes as lawmakers on both sides of the aisle began to resist Trump’s efforts to unilaterally redirect military funds to build a wall on the southern border. Last week, the Senate, including 11 Republicans, voted to cancel the president’s emergency declaration distinction and, on Friday, moved the bill to Trump’s desk, where it is expected to be vetoed. Congress passed a similar resolution rebuking Trump in March, which the president subsequently vetoed.

Story cited here.

Share this article:
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter