California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced on Wednesday plans to give cash payments to adult immigrants living illegally in the state to help them weather the coronavirus crisis.
The plan, which would use a mix of taxpayer money and charitable donations from corporations and philanthropists, will give 150,000 adults $500 each during the coronavirus outbreak, the governor said.
California has had an estimated 2 million immigrants living in the country illegally. They have not been eligible for the $2.2 trillion stimulus package approved by Congress last month, which pledged cash payments to most Americans while boosting unemployment benefits by $600 per week.
“We feel a deep sense of gratitude for people that are in fear of deportations that are still addressing essential needs of tens of millions of Californians,” said Newsom, a Democrat, who noted 10 percent of the state’s workforce consisted of immigrants living in the country illegally who paid over $2.5 billion in state and local taxes last year.
Massachusetts police officer shot by colleague during service of restraining order
Barry Morphew to appear in court after grand jury indictment charging him with wife’s murder
Critics sound off against Trump’s ‘temporary pass’ for migrant farm, hospitality workers
‘Biden wanted me in here:’ Trump says inside caged ‘Alligator Alcatraz’ detention site
Schumer forces name change for ‘big, beautiful bill’ moments before it passes
Trump at ‘Alligator Alcatraz’: ‘Deportation’ is the only way out for illegal immigrants
Trump Says He’s Going to ‘Take a Look’ at Deporting Elon Musk
Watch: Reporter Travels to ‘Alligator Alcatraz’ and Finds Out the Name Fits
Iran-linked hackers threaten to release new trove of emails stolen from Trump’s inner circle after strikes
Elon Musk’s attacks on Trump’s ‘big, beautiful bill’ have ‘no basis,’ says No 2 House Republican
Suspect in Deadly Idaho Firefighter Ambush Identified: ‘Something Must Have Snapped’
Two Chinese nationals arrested for spying on US Navy personnel and bases
Victim’s Family ‘Beyond Furious’ as Bryan Kohberger Accepts Plea Deal in Idaho Quadruple Murder Case
Trump Threatens Iran in Scathing Post, Demands Thank You for Sparing Supreme Leader ‘A Very Ugly’ Death
4 Senate amendments to Trump megabill that failed — and 1 that passed
Taxpayers would be kicking in $75 million for the money, while a group of charities has committed to raise another $50 million for a total of $125 million. A group of charities already has donated $5.5 million for the fund, including the Emerson Collective, Blue Shield of California Foundation, the California Endowment, the James Irvine Foundation, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and an anonymous donor.
Newsom said the money will not be distributed based on income. “Their personal information will not be required to get those support,” he added.